Madnorski Middle & High School Team (Junior Program)
The mission of middle and high school team is to provide coaching and age appropriate skill development in Nordic skiing, along with training, touring and racing opportunities for skiers from fifth to twelfth grade of all abilities, interests and backgrounds. The Madnorski team seeks to instill the love of skiing, to promote a healthy, active outdoor lifestyle, and ultimately, to instill the highest standards of sportsmanship, competition and collaboration among our team members.
All six Madnorski ski coaches are certified by the US Ski and Snowboard Association (US Skiing) at level 100 or higher, and together have combined experience racing in Europe, the World Cup, NCAA’s, Super Tour, US Nationals, national, regional and local competitions, and coaching at the national, regional and local levels. Madnorski coaching staff maintains a five to one skier to coach ratio, to ensure the highest level of support for skiers at every level. Learn more about MadNorSki Coaches.
Winter practices are held at a variety of venues throughout the Madison area, on the east, west and central parts of Madison. Both of our primary on-snow training facilities, Yahara Hills Golf Course on the east side and Elver Park on the west side, provide shelter and grooming. When man-made snow is necessary, the team practices at Elver Park, which is equipped with seven snowmaking guns. Madnorski occasionally trains at Odana Hills Golf Course, University Ridge Golf Course, McCarthy Park, or Pleasant View Golf Course and other venues. Dryland, roller skiing and strength training happen on trails throughout the community, and the CXC Center for Excellence. We also like to explore the area and have fun. We’re open to new and different training opportunities too! (Like paddling, canoeing, rock climbing, mountain biking or other).
West Training Locations
- Elver Park (1250 Mckenna Rd., Madison, WI 53719) MAIN WEST LOCATION
- Odana Hills Golf Course (4635 Odana Rd., Madison, WI 53711)
- University Ridge Golf Course (9002 County Road PD, Madison, WI 53593)
- Pleasant Ridge Golf Course (1322 Pleasant View Rd., Middleton, WI 53562)
- Eagle School (5454 Gunflint Trail Rd., Madison, WI 53711)
- CXC Center of Excellence (718 Post Road, Madison, WI 53713)
Central Training Locations
- Lussier Heritage Center & Lower Yahara River Trail (3101 Lake Farm Road, Madison, WI 53711) MAIN CENTRAL LOCATION
East Training Locations
- Yahara Hills Golf Course (6701 US-Hwy 12, Madison, WI 53718) MAIN EAST LOCATION
- McCarthy Park (4841 CO. Hwy. TT, Cottage Grove, WI 53527)
Fall/Winter Training Schedule
High School Team (grades 9-12):
Dry-land training begins November 6th, and takes place 4 days per week (Saturday mornings plus three weeknights from 5:30-7:30 at locations and days, TBD)
On-snow training starts when the snow flies, and takes place Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 5:30-7:30 pm at Yahara Hills and Elver Park, or other locations as announced.
Middle School Team (grades 5-8):
Optional dry-land training starts November 6th for returning skiers only, and takes place 2 days per week (Saturday mornings plus one weeknight from 5:30-7:30 pm, locations TBD).
Dry-land training starts December 1 for all other Middle School skiers, on Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:30 – 7:30 pm (locations to be determined)
On-snow training starts when the snow flies (usually by mid-December) and takes place on Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:30-7:30 at [Yahara Hills] and Elver Park, or other locations as announced.
Madnorski athletes are encouraged to compete and have the opportunity to participate in up to ten events in the Midwest each season, most of them coordinated by the Wisconsin Nordic Ski League. Races take place from mid-December through early March. Athletes with a desire to compete at a higher level of competition are encouraged to compete in the Junior National Qualifier Series (JNQ’s), which includes an additional three weekends of racing each season, and the chance to qualify for the Midwest Junior National Team and participate in the Junior National Championships.
Additionally, Madnorski offers the Tuesday night race series at Elver Park starting in January, which is a fun and easy way to try out racing.
While race participation is optional, we encourage all members to join in on some of our weekend outings, where we will also provide chances to ski without competing, for those who are interested in ski touring instead.
Parents of returning team members coordinate trips, including hotels and meals, with sign ups required in advance of trips. Sign-ups will be handled through our TeamSnap app.
Tentative Team Race & Outing Schedule
- Up, Up & Away Rollerski Race, Blue Mounds, WI, November 4, 2017
- Ironwood On Snow Camp (Ironwood, MI) December 9-10, 2017
- Ice Age Nordic Invitational (Lodi, WI) December 16, 2017
- Hodag Challenge (Rhinelander, WI) January 6-7, 2018
- Elver Park Race (Madison) January 9, 2017
- Snekkevik Classic (Wausau, WI) January 13, 2018
- Iola Skate Invite (Iola, WI) January 14, 2018
- Southern Conference (Greenbush, WI) January 27, 2018
- Iola Norseman (Iola, WI) January 28, 2018
- State Sprint & Ski-Cross Championships (Madison, WI) February 3-4, 2018
- State Championships (Cable, WI) February 10-11, 2018
- Squirrel Hill Skiathlon (Minocqua, WI) March 3, 2018
JNQ Qualifier Race Series
- Qualifier #1, Houghton, MI, December 16-17, 2017
- Qualifier #2, Cable, WI, January 21-22, 2018
- Qualifier #3, Mt. Itasca, MN, February 17-18, 2018
*If you intend to do the JNQ races, please contact Brenda Baker at email@example.com or 608-628-5830, as housing can be hard to find and the team has a few housing options reserved.
Additional Optional Races
American Birkebeiner/Korteloppet, Cable, WI, February 24-25, 2018
Fees for the winter sessions include:
- on-and-off snow coaching
- coaching at December Ironwood camp
- training plans
- race entry fees for Wisconsin Nordic League races (for non-JNQ races)
- race entries for Madnorski race series
- membership to Madnorski ski club
- waxing at Wisconsin Nordic Ski League races
- use of club roller skis, skis, boots and poles (as available)
- CXC insurance
- club membership to the CXC Center of Excellence (strength and other training opportunities)
Fees are $450 for high school students and $300 for middle school students. If there are high school students who can only attend 2 times per week, a reduced fee of $300 will apply. Additionally, Madnorski offers scholarships to youth who would otherwise not be able to participate. To request a scholarship, please contact Tamara Bryant at firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-852-4362 to request an application.
Fees for the winter session do not include:
- hotel, transportation or food costs for races
- entry fees for JNQ races
- team jersey
To sign up for the team, please register in the link below.
M, T, Th, 5:30-7:30 pm, Saturday mornings (through December 1);
M, T, W, Th, 5:30-7:30 (December 1-March 10)
2 days Winter
Choose 2 days from Winter 1
* Note: The period of November, or until the first snow East and West athletes will train together at Lussier Heritage Center. When snow is available, practices will be held both on the East side at McCarthy Park (or Yahara Golf Course) and on the West Side at Elver Park.
All athletes will need to complete the online medical waiver form and release of liability form below, prior to their first practice.
Nordic skiing is an equipment intensive sport. However, the club will do everything in its power to help find equipment for new skiers to borrow for the season. We have a healthy supply of boots, skis and poles for both classic and skating techniques, as well as roller skis for new skiers to borrow. Athletes will need both classic and skating equipment.
Here is the list of equipment needs:
- Skate skis, boots (can be combi), poles
- Classic skis, boots (can be combi), poles
- Bike helmet
- Flashing bike lights for night roller skiing
- Hill bounding poles (if available)
- Good gloves, hats, mittens, warm layers (tops and bottoms) and a light jacket
Our team holds a Ski Swap, where used equipment can be purchased. The ski swap is held on Thursday, November 2nd, from 4-8 pm for Madnorski members only at Fontana West store. New Madnorski juniors have first pick from 4-6 pm. The ski swap will be open through Sunday. Additionally, CXC team athletes will be helping athletes try on skis and boots for size and testing skis for weight. New skis can also be purchased directly from Fontana with a 15% discount for the first week and a half of November.
Last year Fontana offered a rental program, where youth athletes could rent a new package of equipment for $350 for the season, which included skate and classic skis, poles, and combi boots and bindings.
Madnorski Team uses a free online app (TeamSnap) to coordinate all practices, and to communicate important information. Once you sign up for the team, you will be given access to our private Team Snap account.
Volunteers are the heart of our team. Please consider lending your skills and expertise in the areas that you are able. This includes assisting coaches at practices, helping with ski waxing, bringing snacks to practice, helping organize one of our social events, or leading a ski trip. Please click on the link below to learn more about volunteering. If you have questions, please contact Volunteer Coordinator– Tamara Bryant.
Benefits of Skiing for Madnorski
Madnorski junior skiers have the benefit of Madison’s premier Nordic Ski Club resources to support their efforts.
- Collaboration with CXC Center of Excellence: includes use of strength training and other facility resources, access to coaching staff, and the highest level of Nordic ski racing resources in the Midwest.
- Skiers have the benefit of training at a variety of locations throughout the community.
- Stock of roller skis, skate & classic skis, boots and poles, donated by the club for new members.
- Committed to providing skiing opportunities to children of all ages and abilities, regardless of experience or financial barriers.
- Achievements and accolades of the team are celebrated by the larger Madison ski community on our team website, in the news, and at our annual Chili Feed fundraiser.
Madnorski Junior Team has a long history of proven results, going back to the mid 1970’s. Last year Senior Cullen Chosy won the Wisconsin State Individual Freestyle and Pursuit Championship and led the high school boys team to a third place finish overall, after winning the Southern Conference qualifying meet. Cullen along with U16 skier Eli Gore, both qualified for the highly competitive Midwest Junior National Team and represented the Midwest in Lake Placid, New York, two out of only seven Wisconsin skiers chosen for the team.
In 2017 Senior Mia Zutter’s outstanding results earned her a position on US Paralympics Team, where she competed in Korea in March of this year. In middle school racing, Nina Chosy and Ainsley Casper took 1st and 2nd in the Southern Conference meet, and went on to place in the top twelve in the Wisconsin State Championships.
Prior to 2017, Madnorski sent skiers Russell O’Brien and Henry Gore to the Junior National Competitions in Stowe, Vermont and Cable, Wisconsin, and won the State Championships as a team in 2012, with skiers Evan Patz & Gabe Forest leading the team to victory with first and second place finishes in the skate race. Russell now competes for the Bowdoin College Nordic team, and Gabe skis for Colby College.