The MadNorSki Dryland Training Junior program is designed for skiers of all levels, from beginners to those with goals of competing at the junior national level, in college, or beyond. Our program offers superior training in both skate and classic techniques and incorporates agility, endurance, and strength training. We will focus on rollerskiing, hill bounding, trail running, and building strength through fun agility exercises.
Junior’s is for athletes aged 12 – 18 (U12, U14, U16, U18, U20.)
- Practice times: Monday and Wednesday 5:15 – 7pm
- Location: Please check Team Snap for specifics on locations. Practices will be at a variety of locations including Elver Park, Lussier Heritage Center and more
- Coaches: Jay Sween, Brenda Baker, Jacob Huseby, Karmen Whitham
- Athletes are welcome to use our fleet of rollerskis (both skate and classic. These will be brought to practice by our coaches. It is important that you sign up for attendance the night before practice so that our coaches can bring the correct number of rollerskis for everyone.
- Boot fitting: Athletes may use boots and poles from our equipment inventory. Equipment rental is free for first year skiers, and $25 for returning athletes. If the equipment breaks (it sometimes happens) we will work with you to come up with a plan to pay for the cost of the equipment.
- Boot fitting dates: Saturday May 11 at Karmen’s House (Check Team Snap) Boys from 9-9:30am, Girls from 9:30 – 10am (please bring a check for $25 if this is not your first season)
- Helmets: You MUST have your own helmet for rollerskiing. If you are having a hard time finding one, please let us know so we can find one for you. Love your brain!
Winter 2020 – REGISTER HERE
Our season runs from November 4 – March 2. Formal practice will not be held the week of November 25 or the week of December 23 – January 3. November is dryland training where we will build strength through rollerskiing, hill bounding, trail raining, and other activities.
Practice for Juniors team will follow the following schedule. All skiers should enter their availability for practices each week into Teamsnap. Skiers are encouraged to attend as many practices as possible, and to let coaches know via TeamSnap when they will not be able to attend.
High school (U16, U18, U20): Monday through Thursday from 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm (opportunities for weekend practices, check Team Snap)
Middle school (U12, U14): Monday and Thursday evenings from 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm (opportunities for weekend practices, check Team Snap)
Skiers will practice both classic and skate techniques. Skiers will need equipment for both techniques, which include poles, boots and skis. Skiers are strongly encouraged to purchase their own equipment. New skiers have the option of borrowing MadNorSki gear for the season. After your first season, there will be a rental fee of $100. Equipment is limited and first priority will be given to first year skiers.
MadNorSki athletes are encouraged to participate in up to ten events in the Midwest each season, most of them coordinated by the Wisconsin Nordic Ski League. Races take place from mid-December through early March. Athletes with a desire to compete at a higher level of competition are encouraged to compete in the Junior National Qualifier Series (JNQ’s), which includes an additional four weekends of racing each season, and the chance to qualify for the Midwest Junior National Team and participate in the Junior National Championships. Race schedules can be found in the Parent and Skier Handbook.
Additionally, MadNorSki offers the Tuesday night race series at Elver Park starting in January, which is a fun and easy way to try out racing.
While race participation is optional, we encourage all members to join in on some of our weekend outings, where we will also provide chances to ski without competing, for those who are interested in ski touring instead.
For more information, please contact Tamara at email@example.com