The goal of the MadNorSki Junior program is to improve technique, build aerobic capacity, and establish or build a strong endurance base, all while having fun. Programs are offered year round to prepare skiers for when the snow flies, whether they choose to ski for fun and recreation, to compete in that first race, or to race in high school, regional or national competitions. The Madnorski Junior team seeks to instill the love of skiing, to promote a healthy, active outdoor lifestyle, and ultimately, to instill the highest standards of sportsmanship, competition and collaboration among our team members.
The Junior Program is for athletes aged 10 – 19 (U12, U14, U16, U18, U20) and is unique in the region for its low skier to coach ratio, the high degree of technical experience of our USSA certified coaches (see bios), and our club’s strong partnership with CXC Skiing’s Center of Excellence, the Midwest region’s governing body of the US Ski and Snowboard Association.
An 8-week progressive program. All participants will use both skate and classic rollerskis. Occasional trail running will be included on Monday nights. Rollerskis may be rented from Madnorski. Skiers may pick up rollerskis in advance or on the first lesson. Details will be emailed to participants.
- Where: Lussier Family Heritage Center and Gunflint Trail Park, with occasional practices or trail running at other Madison area parks.
- Time: Monday & Wednesdays 5:30-7 pm
- Dates: September 26-November 16
- Cost: $180 for Monday and Wednesdays OR $95 for 4 weeks OR $95 for Wednesdays only
- Rollerski rental: $50/first pair, $30/second pair
- REGISTER HERE–NOW FULL (Must be a current ’22-’23 club member)
Note: Coaches will likely add more volume trainings and intensity in November than what is listed above. There may be 3 practices a week on some weeks, or a long weekend training session. Kids involved in Cross Country Running in the fall are encouraged to sign up for the second 4 weeks of the fall rollerski session to get time on rollerskis, and continue fitness training before the winter season.
2022-23 Winter Program with Racing & Ski Outings
The Winter 12-week program offers superior training in both skate and classic techniques and incorporates agility, endurance, and strength training. Practices are held during the week and most weekends offer Wisconsin Nordic Ski League race opportunities or family-friendly ski outings to explore new areas and ski trails together. Practice location is Elver Park as well as other city or county parks with groomed trails like Odana Park, Door Creek Park and McCarthy Park. This year we are excited to be hosting a 4 week Juniors race series in January. (See our Juniors Handbook for more information and our race schedule) Team will have access to the man-made snow loop at the CXC Trails if natural snow conditions are poor.
- Where: Elver Park, 1250 McKenna Blvd, Madison, WI 53719
- Time: Monday & Wednesday evenings 5:30-7pm for Middle School. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday evenings 5:30-7 pm for High School
- Dates: November 30-March 2 (Holiday Break last two weeks of Dec)
- Cost: HS (4 practices/week) $595, HS (2 practices/week) $360, MS (2 practices/week) $360 (Must be a current ’22-’23 club member)
- REGISTER HERE–NOW FULL
*If you are a high school student and prefer to practice 2 times/week, please sign up for the 2 practices/week option when you register and please note which 2 HS practice days you would attend in comments.
Participant fees cover program expenses such as training and certification of coaches, grooming and snow making, equipment costs, team wax, travel expenses for coaches. Partial scholarships are available, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
Skiers will practice both classic and skate techniques. Skiers will need equipment for both techniques, which include poles, boots and skis. Skiers are strongly encouraged to purchase their own equipment especially boots (with NNN bindings). New skiers have the option of renting MadNorSki gear for the season for $25. After your first season, there will be a rental fee of $125. Equipment is limited and first priority will be given to first-year skiers. Both classic and skate rollerskis for dry land training will be available to rent from the team.
MadNorSki athletes have enjoyed participating in up to ten events in the Midwest each season, most of them coordinated by the Wisconsin Nordic Ski League. Races generally take place from mid-December through early March. Athletes with a desire to compete at a higher level of competition are encouraged to compete in the Junior National Qualifier Series (JNQ’s) and the chance to qualify for the Great Lakes Junior National Team and participate in the Junior National Championships. Please refer to the Juniors Handbook to see the race schedule.
For more information, please contact Tamara at email@example.com
For new skiers and returning skiers, we provide our Juniors Handbook 2022-23 that can provide lots of useful information! Learn about our Mission, Vision, and Values, Code of Conduct, practice locations, how to get equipment including team rentals & ski swap, new equipment suggestions, race schedule, and team leaders & contact information.
- All skiers and coaches are encouraged to get vaccinated & boosted to protect our community
- Skiers and coaches may choose to wear a mask when inside the shelter. Masks are not required outdoors.
- Any skier or coach experiencing any unusual symptoms cannot attend.
- We will constantly evaluate our policies and will adjust as needed.